- November 15, 2012
When online 3D printing services became available around 2008, the availability of home 3D printers was limited. Fast forward to today and the choice for home 3D printers is growing. Also their capabilities and performance are increasing as well while prices are dropping. What does this mean for online 3D printing services?
- October 19, 2012
Often I read the expectations that there will be a 3D printer in every home in 5 years or a decade. In this post I explain why I do not believe that.
- October 12, 2012Gartner released their yearly report called Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies. 3D printing is part of this report for the last couple of years. This year, Gartner’s analysts have positioned 3D printing at the peak of inflated expectations. Did 3D printing reached its top?
- August 24, 2012
In 2002, Jeff Bezos send around the following within Amazon. He realized that Amazon needed to be a platform to be grow and scale. He did not use the term Service Orientated Architecture, he did not care, he just wanted to move Amazon as a company in a certain direction. AWS was born out of this.
- August 8, 2012In this post I explore the rising and maturing of affordable manufacturing technologies like 3D printing, CNC and laser cutting. Does this create opportunities for hardware startups?
- June 26, 2012The basis of the theory of The Long Tail is underpinned by the fact that the internet lowered distribution costs, and thereby making it possible to offer large inventories to customers. But the rise of self-publishing has changed the distribution mechanism itself. The net effect is that the tail is getting longer each day.
- June 20, 2012
3D printing has been around for decades, but the technology has gathered more mindshare and media attention in the recent years. Still the state of the industry is in its infancy. There are a lot of opportunities in the market. In this post, I will explore where I think those opportunities are.
- June 13, 2012Over the past months, I wrote several articles about the impact of 3D printing. In this last article of this series, I am writing about the impact of 3D printing for consumers.
- May 17, 2012
I am super excited about volumetric displays. I think they will be a big game changer. Volumetric displays project an object or environment in 3 dimensions. It gives the viewer complete freedom in viewing the object from every angle.
- May 4, 2012In my series on the impact of 3D printing, I wrote about my views of the impact on supply chain and product design. In today’s post, I write about manufacturing locations. This topic has already been partly covered in the post about supply chain, but I think there is more to say about it.