In general 3D printing is called 3D printing. But there are many other names or acronyms used for this technology.
So far I have seen:
- Additive Manufacturing (AM) — as opposite to subtractive manufacturing (CNC and others)
- Additive Fabrication (AF)
- Rapid Prototyping (RP) — old term when the technology was mostly used to make.. well.. prototypes
- Solid Freeform Fabrication (SFF)
- Additive Layer Manufacturing (ALM)
I am not sure who thought of the term 3D printing. Personally I favor 3D printing simply because most people immediately have some sense on what it means.
NASA is onto 3D printing
A few weeks ago, I wrote a post about how 3D printing in space would make sense, and today NASA publ…
3D printing or mass production — when does it make sense?
Traditionally to produce your product you had to go via the mass production route. With 3D printing …
Categorizing 3D printing
3D printing used to be called exclusively rapid prototyping. This fitted with the primary use case o…
Future of 3D printing — part 2
In my previous post about Future of 3D printing I wrote about the bigger effects of 3D printing on m…